Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Week On "The Farm"

I spent last week at the IMB's International Learning Center in Rockville, VA. I wish I could explain this place to you. Not only is it located on a beautiful piece of Virginia farmland, but it is kind of like a spiritual lightning rod. I don't think there is anything special about the land or the buildings or anything else on campus. However, it is a place that is usually filled to capacity with Godly men and women who spend hours of every day lifting prayers for the lost of the world. How can God not touch his finger on that place every day?

Anyway, I was there to take my first seminary class. (Systematic Theology, doesn't that sound fun?) And, while I am at it, let me say publicly how much I appreciate my friend Mike Bruce. One of Mike's many roles in my life is to remind me where I came from and that God must have lost his mind when He called me to serve as a missionary. So, his voicemail message last week which went something like, "hey, i was just driving down the road and realized you were in a seminary class....and that is just funny" was what I needed to break the tension of the day. He is right, you know. It is just funny.

But I digress. One of the things I enjoy so much about being at ILC is that it is filled with people who truly know what we are going through. They have (or currently are) selling all their posessions, saying goodbye to family and friends, and basically doing what the world thinks is absolutly crazy! It is nice to be surrounded by other crazy people. It is nice to hear their stories. For example, one day last week we were all sharing with each other stories about selling our houses. I want you to know that without exception, every person around the supper table was able to sell their house within a week's time. WOW! Isn't our God a big and good God?

I also had the opportunity to spend time with two dear friends who were home on stateside assignment. Scott Wood (and his family) were "home" from Prague, Czech Republic, and Buck and Leslie Burch were in from St. Petersburg, Russia. Both families are dear friends of ours and it was good to spend time relaxing, talking, and dreaming about the future with them. I thank God for the opportunity to be in the same place at the same time.

Well, although I am back home from my seminary class, I still have two papers and a final exam to author. So, I will close. My message tonight is simple. God gives us special friends, special places and special opportunities to get closer to Him and His people. Try to recognize these opportunities when they come along and savor them.

Remember the words of Psalm 94:19 -- "When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul."

For me, getting time to spend at ILC cheers my soul.

Blessings,
Marc

No comments: