Monday, July 2, 2007

Consider the lillies of the field...

Such an easy verse to quote. However, it is so much harder to live. We Americans are so used to being told that if we work hard we can be successful. It is, after all, the American dream. But how much harder is it to exercise faith that if God takes care of the birds and the flowers, then how much more will he take care of us?

The past couple of days have been pretty tough for me. I guess I am playing catch-up with the rest of the family. Kellye and the kids have already said their goodbyes to the people at school and have had a few weeks to adjust to their vocational changes. On Friday I flew home (and boy, my arms are tired) from my last business trip. A woman on the plane asked me what I did for a living and my response did not come as easily as I would have liked. "I am a video editor," I said without thinking. "Well, not really. I am just over 30 days away from being a missionary in Moscow, Russia." (Stunned silence. From me.) While my flying companions were very supportive of the adventures that will no doubt lie in front of us, I was struck pretty hard that my "professional career" was at an end. Now, don't get me wrong. I am excited about everything that we are doing and I am completly awestruck that God would choose our family for this kind of service. (Kellye, maybe. But not me.) However, I have spent the majority of my life getting to live out my dreams. For the past 20 years I have been doing the kind of work that I always dreamed of doing as a child. While other boys dreamed of being sports heroes, I dreamed of being on the radio, creating television programs and traveling the country as an expert in my field. So far, in my life I have been a very lucky man. So, I have spent the past few days adjusting to the change in my vocational status and that has been pretty difficult.

When I retuned home, my extrodinary family (et. al) had mostly finished moving us out of our home and into the Missionary House at San Jose Baptist. Consider the lillies of the field. Due to the obiedience and spiritual sensitivity of this wonderful congregation, my family has a wonderful house to live in for the month of July after we close on the sale of our home this week. I cannot say enough about how God provides and answers prayers.

Many of you have read in Kellye's blog the saga of the search for a home for our cats. They are more than just pets, they are members of the family. I won't say much on that note, other than God showed up (just in time, as usual) and provided loving families for each of the cats. I took both Scout and Beacon to their new homes today and can say that while they will be missed by our family, they will be loved by those who have adopted them. God is good!

I will talk more about my visit with my folks in another blog (I have several that I am working on right now trying to get caught up), but let me say that God has also provided me with a wonderful set of parents (and in-laws) who have been not just supportive about our call to the mission field, but have done whatever possible to help us as we go. So, thanks Mom and Dad and Ken and Betty. You guys have been great and a gift from God. As we tear ourselves away from this life, we will miss you greatly but know that you understand The Call and the need to follow.

You know, sometimes when you consider the lillies of the field you just have to giggle. Why? Because God is funny. Earlier this week we got a call from some of our "Mission Friends" in the field about our new apartment. The missionary couple that is currently living there is getting ready to retire and we have an opportunity to purchase a lot of their household things so that we do not have to pack and bring them, or look for those items once we get there (things like desks, fans, coffee pots, etc.) It turns out that when we totalled everything on the list we wanted to purchase, that amount was exactly (almost down to the penny) what we made from our garage sales and the sale of our American household items. Kellye and I have giggled about that one most of the evening.

So, as you read this, consider the lillies and the birds of the field. I can tell you from recent experience that if God can take care of their needs, how much more will he take care of ours. I can't tell you how many times I have heard the phrase "let go and let God." Well, that may sound good on a T-shirt or bumper sticker, but it is pretty hard to do. However, I can tell you that God does have a plan and he does want to meet our every need. It may not wind up being the American dream. But I can promise you that it will be a dream from which you will not want to wake.

Blessings,
Marc

No comments: