Monday, July 16, 2007

A Day At the Beach...

Since we live in Florida you would think this post would be about taking a final trip to see the ocean and letting the kids play in the sand. However, yesterday morning I had the opportunity to listen to my favorite preacher...my pastor, Alan Floyd.

Frankly, I was not really emotionally prepared for the sermon, "A Day At The Beach with Simon Peter." I had other things on my mind. It was our last Sunday at FBCM and I cannot honestly say that at the start of the sermon that I was fully engaged. I have spent the past couple of weeks kind of dreading this day. The day that we would have to say goodbye to so many people who have meant so much to the family and myself. We have lived in Florida longer than we have lived anywhere else since we have been married and this has become our home. And much of our identity here has been wrapped up in our involvement with First Baptist of Middleburg.

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

This passage comes from the 21st Chapter of John. I had read it many times and knew the passage well, so when Pastor Alan started preaching I was still lost in my own thoughts. I am not sure that I ever thought that much about the passage and how it applied to my life. Like many other stories fromt the Bible I had read it and knew it, but never bothered to look any deeper. I find that I am guilty of that many more times that I would like to admit.

But then the question was asked..."do you truly love me more than these?" And I had to stop and ask myself...
Marc, do you truly love me more than Lighthouse Video? Yes, Lord.
Marc, do you truly love me more than your house? Yes, Lord.
Marc, do you truly love me more than all your stuff...your surround sound system, your big comfy bed, your china cabinet that you purchased on your first anniversary? Yes, Lord.
Marc, do you truly love me more than the people sitting around you? The Family of Friends? Your Pastor and friend? Kellye's family who has loved you as one of their own for the past 17 years? Yes, Lord.

In many ways that was a hard inventory to take. For almost two years now we have been following our call to missions. But up until a couple of weeks ago that journey was filled with lots and lots of paperwork, hours of introspection and divulging every dark corner of your life to the IMB candidate consultants. But on May 15 when we were officially appointed as Southern Baptist missionaries things started happening quickly. I turned my back on my life-long dream to operate my own media production business. I gave up the home our family had dreamed of and that God had provided for us. I started selling our posessions. Which was harder than I thought it would be because each item had a specific memory attached with it. And that period of our life ended yesterday as we had to say goodbye to many dear friends. Yesterday Jesus asked, "Marc, do you REALLY love me more than these?" And the only response that I had was the same one that Peter had when Jesus asked..."Yes Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

And then I read something interesting. Jesus finishes this conversation with Peter the same way that he started just 3 years earlier. The end of verse 19 reads, "Then he said to him, "Follow me!"" I think the conversation Jesus has with each of us every day is not terribly different than the one that he had with Peter. He asks us just how much we love him...and then he calls to us...FOLLOW ME! Notice the exclamation point. It is with excitement that Jesus commands us to follow because He has exciting adventures planned for us.

Am I sad to leave the church family that has meant so much to me? Of couse. But, like Peter, I am excited to follow Jesus wherever He leads. God has called us to follow Him around the globe to Moscow, Russia. Where has he called you? Has he called you across the street to talk with your neighbors? Has he called you to tell your co-workers about how much you love Him? Has he called you to share the love of Jesus with the woman who pours your coffee every morning? Whatever He has called you to the question is the same... Do you love me more than these? If so, then follow me!

No comments: