Friday, April 4, 2008

Not locked in a Siberian gulag...

It has been awhile since I have written, so I wanted to assure you that I have not been locked away in a Siberian gulag or set adrift at sea...

I have, however, been quite busy working on several different projects.  And, for those of you who know me well, I would much rather be busy with project work than having too much time on my hands.  Frankly, it is nice to finally feel useful here.

One quick note about language before I go.  Most of you know that on Thursday nights we host an English Club for Russians.  It is truly a great experience and I plan to write more about that later.  However, I thought that I would look forward to that time because it was a time and place where it was appropriate to speak with Russians in MY native tongue, and not theirs.  However, what I have found is that when I am speaking to a Russian person, my brain automatically switches to Russian language and I begin to think (and often communicate) in Russian!  It really is the wildest thing!  So, while I am helping them with their English, they are helping me with my Russian.  We really enjoy our time together.  So, at this juncture I have to give proper credit to Irena, our language teacher.  I may not always enjoy how I am being taught, but whatever she is doing seems to be working.  At times like these it makes the long hours of language study (ok, maybe not the grammar part) worthwhile.

And, speaking of which, I have some grammar homework to finish before my lesson this afternoon.  So, hopefully this weekend I will have an opportunity to write "The Kiev Chronicles" and bring you up to speed on some of the other happenings in our lives.  Until then, know that we appreciate you taking the time to read our thoughts and pray for us.  

Blessings,
Marc

No comments: