Saturday, April 19, 2008

Creating "Missional Space" is much more fun than it sounds.

As most of you know, our team is focused primarily on reaching the artists of Moscow. And, much like in America this segment of the population is not usually prone to go to church or church-related functions, so we have to find other ways of connecting with them and forming relationships. On paper it is a little more involved than this, but in a nutshell this is what we call creating "missional space" -- a place where we can find common ground and interest that will allow spiritual conversations to flow naturally out of a developing relationship with each other.

About a month ago our team hosted a conversational English class that was advertised at many of the music schools around town. We had about 45 people attend the week-long class, mostly students in their 20s and early 30s. Since then, Kellye and I have been hosting an English Club in our home every Thursday night and have been averaging around 10-13 people every week.

A couple of weeks ago after class we were drinking tea and snacking and talking about the different kinds of music that we enjoy. Of course, I mentioned that I enjoyed American country music. One of the guys in our club, Alexey, a former MIG pilot and now a music student, asked me if I would be interested in going with him to watch one of his friends play country music. "Sure," I said. "That sounds like fun."

Well, this week Alexey called and his friend's band was playing on Friday night and wanted me to go. Now, as a quick aside here you have to know that it has been a rather horrible week around our house. The weather changed back to cold, rainy and depressing. Everybody was at each other's throats. And, to make matters worse, we found that a Russian man that I have been trying to develop a relationship with has been stealing expensive electronic equipment from us. So, to say that I have been in a good mood and wanted to go out on Friday would be the far from the truth. But, since invitations and opportunities like this do not come along often, I jumped at the chance even though I really didn't feel like going out.

I met Alexey and his two friends at the metro station and then walked to the bar/restaurant called Кантри Бар or "Country Bar." No kidding. The Russians have a real flair for naming things! The atmosphere actually reminded me a lot of Longhorn Steaks and included photos of John Wayne along one wall. At this point I should say that Alexey reads and writes English very well, but speaks very little. As a matter of a fact, I speak much more Russian than he does English (and that is not saying too much.) So, between his little English and my little Russian we were able to converse most of the night. His friends are intermediate English speakers and gave us some extra help in translating for each other, but we did fairly well without them.

Alexey introduced me to his friend Vladimir, who (and I am not making this up) told me to call him "Bob." Bob plays guitar for the band and is quite talented. He also plays in a jazz/fusion band with Alexey and some more of his friends. The music started shortly after and they played a lot of my favorites, including Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, Hank Williams and Jimmy Buffett, not to mention some BB King and Chuck Berry just for fun. As a general rule I haven't really gotten homesick since I have been here, but sitting there in an American-styled place and listening to country music really did it for me.

I got home this morning around 12:30 am and was pretty exhausted, but felt good about the time I had made to expand some "Missional Space." I have been invited to several more concerts featuring Alexey and/or his friends - including the chance to hear Bob play country music at an Independence Day concert at the American Embassy. So I am looking forward to these opportunities to spend time with my new friend Alexey and his friends.

I would love to tell you that while sitting in the bar and listing to music I had the chance to lead one of these folks to Christ. I would love to tell you that I had the opportunity to share the Gospel or even my testimony. But I didn't. However, what I did have was the chance to start some friendships with a few people based on our mutual love of various kinds of music. And, as those friendships deepen and our conversations broaden, those opportunities will come. Until then, I am enjoying the chance to meet some new people, use my conversational Russian in a practical setting and listen to some good music.

One last thought before I close. Creating "missional space" is not something that is exclusive to missionary work around the world. It is something that we should be doing as often as possible whereever in the world we are. So as you go about your week, look for chances to develop relationships with people and see if you can't create a little missional space of your own.

Blessings,
Marc

1 comment:

John Svetina said...

That is soooo exciting! Alexey is so nice and sooo interested in friendship. It is just so awesome that you have that in common with him. And really I think it will be a fun thing for you to do in Russia that feels American. You have to take those when you can get them.

Do they sing in Russian or English? I want to go next time I come, or is it just for men?

Talk to you soon.