Sunday, October 14, 2007

This morning we woke up to...

SNOW!!!

Watch the video.



Well, how 'bout that?? It's the middle of October and we have our first snow fall. And it was a good one, too. You may remember from my previous posts that we have had nothing but rain since we arrived. Last night was no exception. And it rained hard. The wind howled all night long. But, this morning we were greeted to tons of snow falling from the sky. Because it has been so wet and was just barely 32-degrees it did not sticking to the ground until around lunch time. But after lunch it started sticking and by the time I walked home tonight there was at least 3 inches of snow on the ground in some spots! It has pretty much stopped for the night (I think) and the scenery is just beautiful.

This has been a bittersweet day for our team. One of our teammates is leaving tomorrow for the States (and that is bad.) She is getting married (and that is good.) So, we all gathered at our team leader's house for church this afternoon and then celebrated with her as she prepares to return home and get ready for her new life. Even though I only knew here in person for just a week, she will be missed by our family and we wish her well. Did I mention how much we love our team? If not, I LOVE our team. They are an answer to prayer and I am looking forward to the time that I get to minister with them. In the days to come I hope to write some about house church. It is an incredible experience.

Now, it is time for you to pray. Pray hard. Tomorrow is the day I have been dreading. It is the day that I begin language school. Now, don't get me wrong. One of the things I want most of all these days is the ability to speak the language. I long to be able to communicate with the people around me and pray each morning for the boldness to speak the few Russian words that I know. But I am scared about starting formal language training. Fortunately for me, Kellye does not start until next week, so that gives me a week ahead before I immediately fall two weeks behind! Just pray that my teacher is kind and patient and pray that I would have the tongue of a Russian.

We have a busy week ahead. In addition to language training and my weekly team meeting, we must go out and buy some essential supplies: cold weather gear for the family, and a big chili pot for Saturday afternoons. We also hope to carve out some time this week to visit downtown and do the tourist thing. We are hoping to visit Red Square, The Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral this week. We will uploda those photos when we get them. In the meantime, here are a few from our first snowfall in Moscow!

Blessings,
Marc




2 comments:

Ms. Anita said...

Enjoy all of that snow! :) At some point, the novelty does wear off... at least it did for us in Minnesota. However, the "wet" kind is always a lot of fun for the kids!

Praying for your language classes,
"Miss" Anita for Paul & Anita Martin

Ed Foskey said...

Marc,

As I type this, you are just a few hours away from starting your class, and I am an hour or two from hitting the sack.

Just want you to know that I will pray for you with your Russian language classes.

I have studied four languages: English, Spanish, German, and Greek.

I did okay in English.

The main phrase I remember for Spanish is "No habla Espanol"

The main phrase I remember for German is "Ich spreke kiene Duetsch."

I don't remember Greek at all.

I wish you much more success with your Russian language training than I had with these classes.

Email me sometime.

edwardfoskey @ bellsouth.net (remove the spaces)

When I get Skype set up, maybe we can talk.

-ed-