Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jet-lag Is Not A Pretty Thing

According to the clock on my computer, it is almost 1PM.  However, the clock on the wall says that it is almost 5am.  The preferred, and logical, explanation for this is that the clock on the wall stopped working this morning.  However, the reality of the situation is that my body is now eight time zones behind my body, and although I am exhausted from traveling almost 23 hours yesterday, it is early in the morning and I am fairly wide awake.  So, that gave me time to write a little blog.

Currently, I am at my parents' house in Maryland.  The IMB media personnel are having a conference in Richmond, VA this week, so I took that chance to spend a little time at the Hooks Homestead.  Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to speak at my home church in Westminster about life in Moscow and the work in Russia and then will head off for Richmond.

While I am so grateful to be back in the States for a few days, I must say that it has been a little bit more overwhelming than I imagined it would be.  Standing in Kennedy Airport yesterday afternoon, I was almost totally overcome by the sights,sounds, and smells of America.  And, it began almost immediately.  There is just something special about bypassing the long lines of people at Passport Control because you are going to the line that says "US Citizens" and then having the guy behind the desk smile, stamp your passport, and say (in English) "welcome home."  Even as I write this, the thought has me a little choked up.  

Sounds are funny too.  When you live in a foreign culture, your ear gets used to hearing that language.  And, even though you may speak that foreign language, you never really stop having to work to understand the things that are being said around you.  So, when you live your life surrounded by the sounds of a different language, when you hear somebody speaking English, your brain automatically keys into the familiar.  If somebody is speaking English in a large crowd, my mind will automatically focus on the familiar.  However, standing in the middle of the airport in New York where EVERYBODY spoke English, it was kind of like having my radar jammed.  I didn't know where to look or whom to listen.  Very strange experience.

If you know me at all, you know that I love to eat.  So walking through the airport where I saw Chili's, Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts...it was almost more than my poor little nervous system could take.  Dinner with my parents last night was a Texas Roadhouse for a good old-fashioned American steak.  I have no idea what the rest of the week will hold, but I am beginning to think that maybe I should pick up a few pairs of pants with elastic waistbands because I am not sure how long it will take me to lose the 75 pounds that I am sure to put on after this week.

Of course, being with family for a few days is a treasured experience.  And, I am not sure what more I can say about that.  It is nice to walk through the gate of the airport and see your parents and realize that no matter how old you get, you are still loved and they still like to see you come home.

So, my American adventure begins.  I am looking forward to the week.  I miss my family and wish they could be here with me.  But, I have promised to return with all kinds of American goodies.  I hope that makes me being gone a little easier for them to bear.

Blessings,
Marc

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way coming home last year when we came through the Atlanta airport. They said welcome home too, and I just wanted to hug the person!

Hope you have a great week with your family. Can't wait until your whole clan comes home for a visit.

Kay

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://axytyfewyb.dreamstation.com/tisyrax.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://gumululib.fcpages.com/xukadu.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://gasiwoga.lookseekpages.com/ohuxih.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money