Sunday, August 5, 2007

Guess what? I'm Russian! Who knew??

Isn't God funny? I love that about Him. When the Bible says that "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb" (Psalm 139) it means that not only does he know who we were when we were born, or who we are today, but who are going to be in the future. Anyway, my Aunt Lee came over the other day to hang out and eat steamed crabs (yummy) with us. As we were sitting around talking I found out that on one side of the family I am only two generations removed from being Russian! All of my mother's side of the family is Eastern European and we knew we had ties to Hungary and Latvia, but my great-great grandfather came from Ufa, Russia. When we were traveling St. Petersburg in March we discovered that as long as I didn't open my mouth most people assumed that I was Russian. I believe that, like everything else, God has a plan and this is all part of it. How exciting!

AS SANDS IN THE HOURGLASS...

No, I don't watch soap operas, but my Grandmother did. "My Stories" is what she called them. Being home for a week has reminded me a lot of my Grandmother and Pop-Pop. I miss them and wish they could be with me during this part of my life as we get ready to serve. I know they are with me in spirit, but it would be nice if they were here in body too. Anyway, I thought about this introduction to "Days of Our Lives" this week as I watched the calendar count down the number of days until we start our field orientation at The Farm. Tomorrow we drive from here (my parents' house in Finksburg, Maryland) to the International Learning Center in Rockville, Virginia (just outside of Richmond. It is hard to believe that after two years of praying, planning, sweating, and hoping that we are finally here. Know this. God has been with us and has reconfirmed our call at every step of the way. This is not something that we do lightly or that was even our idea. We are just trying to be obiedient to "the call." If you have ever heard that still small voice, then you will understand. And no, it is not easy. However, I know that God will reward us for our faithfulness and obiedience...He already has.

While we have enjoyed spending time with family and friends over the past two months, we are very excited about spending the next 60 days at ILC. Is it because of the classes we will take? No. Is it because I love to eat in a cafeteria three times a day for two months? No. Is it because we get to use the "squatty potty"? A big, resounding NO. But the next two months will be sweet ones because we will be with dear friends with like-minded hearts. I can't tell you how many friends we have made already and how much I cannot wait to see them again and spend time laughing, crying and praying with them. There is something about being surrounded by people who have responded to the call just as you have. I know that many of you who read these blogs cannot really understand why we would want to sell everything we own and move around the world for an indeffinate period of time. And that is ok. It is hard to understand and harder to explain. Missionaries are a strange group of folks. So, to all of my missionary friends who read this, I cannot wait to see you! We are in for a fun and exciting couple of weeks. I do think it is a good thing that we are being housed in a "quad" rather than the dorms. It seems that Journeymen (those serving as missionaries right out of college) need their beauty sleep and are disturbed by the "old folks" who sit around laughing and telling stories into the wee hours of the morning.

Well, as usual my time to Blog has been cut short. There are so many things I want to write about. I hope that I will be able to do a more regular job of writing as we get into FPO and as we transition to the field. Know that we cherish your thoughts and prayers and emails. Thanks again for reading. We pray for you all regularly.

Blessings,
Marc

No comments: